good quote

" In my opinion, the great single need of the moment is that light-hearted superficial religionists be struck down with a vision of God high and lifted up, with His train filling the temple. The holy art of worship seems to have passed away like the Shekinah glory from the tabernacle. As a result, we are left to our own devices and forced to make up the lack of spontaneous worship by ...bringing in countless cheap and tawdry activities to hold the attention of the church people." ~ A.W. Tozer

Monday, February 10, 2014

Revamping my weight loss goals for Spring

ok people... since December of 2012, when i started working for DCI, I've been trying to lose weight and it started with a weight loss challenge at work. I was 192lbs. when i started... I'm currently at (gulp.... dont laugh) 170-172 lbs... I've just been trying to maintain through the winter because it's been hard to get out and hike or exercise with the cold weather. I'm just happy I haven't put the weight back on. But with Spring and warmer weather ahead I'm looking to revamp my weight loss goals. I still have around 37lbs. to lose to reach my goal range and I need some accountability partners or even some exercise partners... I love to hike and be outside. I plan to do some gardening this year.. ummm I'm not crazy about going to the gym I prefer to do "activities" as exercise i guess is the best way to describe it... but i just wanted to share because I thought it might help me to lose the weight if others knew about it..

I think what spurred this whole weight loss thing for me was in December 2012 I stepped on the scale and kept seeing it inching closer and closer to that 200 lbs. mark and thinking "NOOOOO!!! There is NO WAY I'm going to hit that 200 lbs mark! Not going to happen!" So, just like everything in life I began to pray about my weight loss. I didn't want something like that to hinder whatever the Lord might ask me to do in life and yeah, I admit I selfishly wanted to look  better and feel better about my weight too. 

 I also just want to say that I'm not judging other people by their weight. I'm not that shallow or vain. Everyone is built and made differently. God didn't intend for us to all look like what the world considers "beautiful" but I KNOW for sure that I'm not physically built to be 200 lbs. I'm not built to be 172lbs. It's just not healthy for me.

 I also think that part of our testimony for the Lord is being a good steward not just of the things that the Lord gives us but also in how we take care of this body that God has given us. Now that being said, Spiritual things are FAR MORE important that physical things and Spiritual things should always take precedence but that doesn't mean that we should completely ignore the physical things like how we take care of our bodies.  I also think that there should be a spiritual aspect to it as well. I'm not talking meditation or some weird hoccus poccus that the world comes up with, what I mean is making sure that you have you eyes set in the right direction and on the right things. When I was a teenager our youth director's wife made all the girls memorize 1 Corinthians 10:31 at camp one summer. That verse says "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God."  That verse has made a difference in my life in so many ways and it can apply to so many different things, including health and weight loss. 
    For example, when I grab something to eat, i ask "Does this bring glory to God when I know that it isn't good for me to eat?" Or when I do indulge a little in something that I enjoy, like how i really like Mellow Yellow, I ask " Does this honor God or am i making an idol out of this thing because I've become so addicted to it that I think I NEED it?" "Has it become more important than my relationship with the Lord?" If I'm willing to scrape together pennies and go WAY out of my way to get Mellow Yellow but I miss a church service simply because I "didn't feel like going" then yeah, it's become an idol. That's what I'm talking about with having a Spiritual view to my weight loss and exercise. 
 With that in mind, it also affects my exercise; from what I do and what I wear to where I do it at. Which is also why I'm not so fond of Gyms. At a gym you run the risk of being exposed to things that don't honor the Lord, like people who are showing way too much skin and music that doesn't honor God and the possibility of running into someone who is there for lustful reasons. I prefer at home gyms if you like that kind of exercise. 
  But there's other things to consider as well. What kind of exercises are you doing? I have always like to do activities that have a physical aspect to them, like hiking, kayaking, camping, I've even done some rock climbing back in my college days. I love that kind of exercise because you're exercising without really thinking about exercising. You doing something that you enjoy and it's good for you too. But again, how I hike, how I'm dressed for hiking, who I hike with and where... I ask every time "would God be pleased with this? Am I doing this in a way that would honor Him?" I've always heard that if there is any question about the answer to those questions being "No" then you probably need to rethink it because it's better to be safe then sorry.
 I have also had to think about some of the exercises I like doing or am interested in trying. I like what's called "low-impact" exercises because they are not as hard on the joints or muscles. I feel relaxed and refreshed afterward. You're  not trying to do anything unnatural with your body. I like to do pilates, water aerobics, I've even looked into yoga and tai chi. All are great for exercise but some are kind of questionable, like yoga and Tai Chi. My personal conviction is that if you are going to do those for exercise then be very careful that you understand the cultural and religious background of what you're doing. It's one thing to do the exercise but when you start to dabble in the religion behind it then you are no longer honoring God with it. Also they have some humanistic ideals and even some mystic aspects which should be avoided. So that being said perhaps those are not the best exercises to look into for a Christian and I think it is something that should be prayed over. Ask the Lord to show you what He would have you do do. Ask Him for wisdom in setting your goals and planning your exercise and diet. 

Another part of my weight loss challenge is telling others and myself that I AM NOT ON A DIET, I am merely watching what I eat. Everything in moderation... Do I have the chocolate cake if I want it? Sure, a SMALL piece isn't going to hurt me so much and it isn't going to set me back in losing weight but 2 or 3 LARGE pieces are certainly going to hurt me and set me back. It turns me into a pig and I have to ask myself why do I need that much cake? I have a sweet tooth and I'm a muncher... If I'm not careful I'll munch on snacks all day long and not even eat meals. The problem with that is that I end up eating too many empty calories. To fix this I ask myself why I'm eating what I am eating when I'm eating it. Most of the time I found it was because I was bored. In that case I go out and find something to do.

 Well, I know I could keep going on and on but I've been sitting long enough. It's time to get up and get busy. I am looking for some accountability partners, someone who will ask "Have you exercised today?" and "What have you been eating?"  "Did you honor the Lord in what you ate and did today?" I'm also talking with my sisters and my friends about getting some exercies partners. I think my sisters are being a great help. One of my sisters and I are going to weight in tomorrow and go from there. YAY! 

I hope this has been interesting, God honoring and a help to anyone else dealing with the same challenges. I just felt like sharing with others... :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment