good quote

" In my opinion, the great single need of the moment is that light-hearted superficial religionists be struck down with a vision of God high and lifted up, with His train filling the temple. The holy art of worship seems to have passed away like the Shekinah glory from the tabernacle. As a result, we are left to our own devices and forced to make up the lack of spontaneous worship by ...bringing in countless cheap and tawdry activities to hold the attention of the church people." ~ A.W. Tozer

Monday, December 5, 2011

"Teach me, O LORD,...and I shall keep it.."

"Teach me, O LORD, the way of thy statutes; and I shall keep it unto the end." ~ Psalm 119:33

     Last night around 2 or 3 in the morning I suddenly woke from my sleep. Wide eyed and not knowing really why I had woke up, but knowing that it would take me a while to become sleepy again I decided to flip on the bedside lamp and look through the bibles I keep beside my bed. Yes, I keep more than one there. One is the small travel size Sportsman's KJV Bible that I like to put in my purse as I walk out the door everyday and the other, "My old Faithful" I call it, is the Scofield study KJV Bible I was give by the church upon my High School graduation. As I began to sit up and flip through their pages I thought to myself that it had been a long time since I transferred notes from the travel bible over to my Scofield and so I also grabbed the pen I keep with my journal in the same place with the bibles.
     I began to look at some of my old notes as I turned those sacred pages. I noticed I have some passages that I had gleaned so much from that you could barely read the print for all my little scribbles, or the wrinkled pages from tears shed and even a few blood stains from more dire times in my past. Passages like Proverbs, 1 & 2 Peter, the Psalms, and Hebrews to name a few. It filled me with wonder and peace and longing to see how God had "Opened my eyes that I could behold wondrous things out of His Law." (Psalm 119:18) It is the Living WORD of God  and I'm so thankful that He gives it fresh and anew every day.

   Admittedly though, in this busy time with so many things pulling you in different directions that it can be hard to find that special time to "seek him with a whole heart" (Psalm 119: 2, 10, 34) since it seems that there are so many different things that not only ask but sometimes demand our attention. Things like family.. Now how could you ever say no to helping with the care of an elderly grandmother or young nephews? Or how about church ministries? When that little bus kid runs up to you and throws their small arms around your neck and you know that if it weren't for them coming to be in the class you teach then they probably may never hear the name of Jesus much less anything else about Him and His love for you and me. It's so easy to throw oneself into everything else except your own relationship with the Lord. Even when you are trying to do what is right and good in His name. But I don't want to forget that in order for me to "walk in the law of the Lord" (Psalm 119:1), to "keep his statues" (Psalm 119:5) or to have "uprightness of heart" (Psalm 119:7) I first have to know God's law and His statues and to "meditate in His precepts" (verse 15).  I for one don't want to become so much a "Martha" that I can't seem to find time or energy to be a "Mary".

   Yesterday at church the morning message was on Faith in the life of the Believer and the evening message was on the topic of what causes falling in the Church. Both were great messages and the Lord used them to show me that I had grown a little cold in my daily walk with God and my soul had been yearning and longing for that sweet fellowship with the Holy Spirit. I had been so busy with family, work and ministries that my time with the Lord, though daily was lacking. Like an starving person my daily meal had dwindled down to a measly little hour before bed each night in which I didn't really "study" God's word, I merely read it with the crazy notion that That little bit could possibly get me through. What was I thinking?
   All this I'm praying over and thinking over as I flipped through my bibles last night, making notes on passages, transferring thoughts I had from one Bible to the other and wondering where did those days go when I was younger and I would pour over God's word during my days, not because I felt I had to but because I wanted to because I loved God's word and wanted to know and to understand and to obtain wisdom beyond my years. I can recall that like Timothy "From a YOUTH I knew the scriptures". How blessed I was to grow up under a pastor that in my opinion is one of the greatest students of the Word I have ever known and to have teachers who were students of the Word themselves who gleaned from no other source but God's Holy Word. I have read messages preached by Ironside and Spurgen and Moody as well as other great giants of the faith and to know that it was not them but GOD who gave such insight into the scriptures. How I have longed to be a Joseph, Daniel, Kind David, or Elias or Elijah or perhaps a Mary, Ruth, or Ester. Some might think it strange that a young woman would want to be like the Apostle Paul but I'd have to say I've studied his letters to the churches more times than I can count and I wish I had the power of the Spirit of the Lord like he did. And how I miss those conversations with fellow believers sharing what the Lord has given.
You know one of my favorite things to do is to sit down with Pastors and the men of God who are such scholars of the Word and just listen to them talk about the Lord and the Scriptures. How many times I have sat quietly by the side as a group of them sat together and discussed the things of God. I don't know if many of them even realized that I was listening to all they had to say just to go home and search out the same passages of scripture myself to see for myself if what they said was true. The Lord has used those times a plenty to teach me something and I'm thankful for the men who loved God so much that they wanted to share with others even if they didn't know that they were sharing with a young lady who loved the Lord and His Word as much as they did.

I typed all this to say that I long for those days again when I spent my free time in the Word instead of channel surfing. I desire to glean from the statutes of God instead of merely reading words on a page. I wish to be full to overflowing with understanding to the point that all I meditate on, all I think about is the law of the Lord and His goodness. I wish to be like those holy men who when they come together their every word is something about some truth the the Lord has given them. And my prayer is that not only would I be one of those but that I would not be the only "young person" who has that same longing.... I know too many that it is not so.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment