good quote

" In my opinion, the great single need of the moment is that light-hearted superficial religionists be struck down with a vision of God high and lifted up, with His train filling the temple. The holy art of worship seems to have passed away like the Shekinah glory from the tabernacle. As a result, we are left to our own devices and forced to make up the lack of spontaneous worship by ...bringing in countless cheap and tawdry activities to hold the attention of the church people." ~ A.W. Tozer

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Lord, have mercy.. I done gone and done what I wasn't suppose to...


Proverbs 3: 31~ " Envy thou not...."

I got a call from my friend just a little bit ago about how she had "stumbled" into a Spanish teaching job. I had mixed feelings about it, if I were to be honest with myself... I was happy for her, of course. It's a wonderful opportunity but I also had other feelings.

She was calling to let me know that she wouldn't be able to go walking with me this evening like we've been doing this summer because she had to go to walmart for supplies and things. Then she kind of rambled through her news of this new job and how maybe we could sit down sometime and talk about it all. I agreed and that was the end. I decided since we weren't going for a walk that I'd take a shower instead.What I felt next was a little seed growing inside and not a good kind. This seed was the seed of envy... I thought to myself, "She must be crazy. She's got a good job right now, one I'd love to have if the opportunity ever presented itself. At 24 she is some kind of Marketing Director for a business or something big like that. She's pretty much her own boss and it's good hours. It's a fairly big thing for someone her age. Why would she go for a teaching position making less money and all that? Here I am, looking for work and pretty much willing to do anything and hoping that it will allow me to still be faithful in my church ministry and the printing ministry at Manna as well as pay my bills and have a little left over to put in the saving account"
   The more I thought about it though another thought struck my mind... "Didn't I just study everyday last week in my bible on the subject of envy? And have I not been praying that I wouldn't get jelous of others; that I'd be thankful everyday for the things God's blessed me with? I've also been asking the Lord to help me in reaching for that Heavenly wisdom that's found only in Him that James 3 talks about..."  Lord, have mercy... I done gone and done what I wasn't suppose to..

It's a sin to be envious. Envy is, simply put, resentment against another person's success. How you define that success is up to you, I suppose. It's a toxin that infects the soul and makes you all rotten inside and eventually it comes out in a lot of different ways and you become bitter. But the Lord tells us that there is also a remedy for envy and it's Thankfulness.

1 Thessalonians 5: 15-19~ "See that none render evil for evil unto any man; but ever follow that which is good, both among yourselves, and to all men. Rejoice evermore. Pray without ceasing. In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you. Quench not the Spirit."

The last thing I'd ever want to do is render evil unto any man or the quench the Spirit.  So I suppose the thing to do is just what these verses say. follow that which is good, rejoice evermore, pray without ceasing and in every thing give thanks. So I want to end this note with a few things I'm thankful for...

I'm thankful for a Lord that loves me enough to not only die for me but to raise again and who cares enough to correct me when I'm wrong. Who blesses me beyond anything I could ever need, want or even hope for. Who saved me from my sin and set me free.

I'm thankful for parents who did their very best by me. They have sacrificed and given all they could all my  life that I might be loved and cared for. Who also put a priority on spiritual things and taught me about the Lord.

I'm thankful for sisters that love me  and know the value of family. We may have gone down different pathes over the years but somehow we can still come together in love and sisterhood.

I'm thankful for my nephews who have been so much a part of my life and me a part of theirs. Not many can say they've had so much of a hand in the raising of their siblings children like I can. It's been a joy as well as a challenge and I wouldn't change it or take it back for nothing under the Heavens.

I'm thankful for friends who over the years have become more like family then anything else. I love them all as if they were blood and it's nice to know (even if we don't say it) that they feel the same way about me. I'm thankful that I can be completely myself around them too. There's some that I don't feel that way around and they seem to outnumber the other but I'm thankful just the same.

I'm thankful I'm not in want of anything. I've got all I've ever needed and even been VERY blessed to have a good number of things that I didn't need but it is nice to have.

I guess that's enough things for here but I could keep going and wouldn't you know that little seed of envy has near disappeared. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment